If you're idea of a romantic date is playing video games at the local arcade, then you're definitely in need of tips and date ideas!
A memorable and unique date will increase your chances of enjoying further dating. Some of the best dates include those involving an element of fun, intimacy and the discovery and delight of new experiences.
This area of the site aims to make the 'thinking process' of coming up with ideas much easier by providing you with a variety of situations.
Deciding on a date requires planning - if you're corresponding with your potential date online, then you can discuss some ideas, suggest a few and come to a mutual agreement. In the past, it seems the onus was on the Man to decide the date and ensure everything ran smoothly. Nowadays, woman let their opinions be heard about what they'd enjoy doing. Compromise and choose something that is fun.
If you're new to dating, then your first stop should be at the First date ideas and the fun date ideas.
If it's your third or fourth date and things are getting more serious, but you want to start making the dates more interesting, then be sure to read the romantic and creative tips.
For those of you whose pockets are a bit empty at the moment, then the good cheap date ideas is definitely worth reading. People who want to up the spice factor in their relationships should point their browsers to the great sexy date ideas. They're bound to raise temperatures!
First Date Ideas
There are various universally accepted ideas of a typical first date. The most common ones are listed below, but alternatives are provided in the fun section. Read the dating tips section for safety advice on your first date.
The Coffee Date
If you're knowledge of the person you are going on a date with is minimal then a simple 'let's go for a coffee at a local cafe' allows you the comfort of getting to know that person better, with the option that if it's not working, then it isn't a long date, so you're not wasting much time and can chalk it up to experience.
The Comedy Date
Attending a live comedy show is slightly different from the standards, but is both relatively cheap and provides an excellent way of forming a good impression of the other person. The comedians at these shows normally cover a whole heap of subjects, so from what he/she laughs at, you can begin to gain more insight into their personality. Plus, it's fun.
The Dinner Date
Another classic date idea. Decide on a restaurant, but make sure beforehand that you know the other person's food preferences. You wouldn't want to get in a situation of taking a Vegan to Harry's Hamburger joint.
The dinner may last an hour or two, so beforehand, think about some topics you might want to talk about. It's best to keep the conversation light in tone and avoid potentially tricky areas like past boyfriends, personal family details and so on.
Some accepted topics include work, sports, career, beliefs. If you've arranged the date via an online service you should have an idea of the other person's interests, so talk about them, and of course sticking to topics you know means less nerves. Ask questions, be interested and polite throughout.
The Movie Date
This is the safe 'cliche' choice. It isn't really a great way of getting to know somebody, but at least if you plan on going for a bite to eat afterwards it gives you something to discuss.
If you're going to do this, consider alternatives. Maybe you live in a city where they have foreign or limited-run films, or during the summer companies sometime run outdoor summer movies where it takes place in a more relaxed park setting, where you can bring along a small picnic hamper and have a more enjoyable time together.
Depending on your mutual interests, you might think of going on a date that involves an element of charity, maybe helping out one evening at a local shelter.
Have your own first date ideas? Please email them to and I'll add them to this page.
Romantic Date Ideas
If you're looking to go down the romantic route, there are more ideas than you might have thought. With all of them remember as you read to think of little twists that would make the date even more memorable and romantic.
Some of them are short ideas you could build off, and incorporate into a fuller dating experience.
- Hire a rowboat and take it out onto a lake and enjoy the sunset. If you're too far from a lake or river, do this in a park or hilly secluded area - a high spot where you can enjoy a good view over the city is always romantic.
- The romantic candelight dinner is still a firm favorite with many. Update it by maybe hiring a boat and being spontaneous. Add your own theme - italian or french food, wine, music, accents.
- Take a romantic stroll barefoot along the beach. Sit on the dock of the bay and simply talk about your dreams, goals or favorite memories together. Why not take a radio, and get romantic by dancing to love songs under the moonlit stars on a quiet waterfront.
- Explore a scenic, or old area you've never been before, but have always wanted to see. A place that has history and feeling adds to the atmosphere.
- Have a night in and write a love song together. It might be about memories you share, things you like, funny traits each person has or whatever your imagination comes up with.
- Do something that you would never have thought of doing - something that's totally out of character and unexpected by your partner. Hire a limo, whisk her off somewhere fancy with no expenses spared. A romantic weekend when your partner has maybe had a hard time at work or been under pressure will revitalise them and your relationship.
- Organise a date where both of you dress or act as a character from a favorite movie of yours. You might be Fred and Ginger and dance the night to your favorite songs.
- Sit on top of a hotel or out on the balcony and count stars (shooting stars).
- Organise a special themed night that brings back memories of yesteryear. Ask your partner to take one of her outfits and when she gets home that day she must wear the blindfold at the door. Then surprise her by having your dining room (or living room) decorated with the theme you chose.
- Buy a couple of disposable cameras and go for a stroll around a park, woods. Take photos of each other along the way and at a later day, each of you can present a collage of memories with maybe a short love poem or words of gratitude included within.
Have any romantic date ideas of your own? Please email them to me and I'll include them on this page.
Cheap Date Ideas
If you're on a budget or simply want the best value for money then this page will provide you with good cheap date ideas. Take these as suggestions and improve on them. Use your imagination.
- Rent a movie, make your own popcorn and snuggle up. It's as cheap as Chips.
- Teach your date something. Maybe how to drive a manual car - go to a secluded car park, put some soothing romantic music on and teach. You'll have more fun than you might imagine.
- Museums and art galleries have cheap days, some being free to enter. Go to the library and look at the papers to see upcoming attractions. Use vouchers and coupons to get the best deals.
- Go bird watching at an avary.
- Take a romantic evening stroll in a forest or along the beach.
- Take a trip, or test-drive a cool car.
- If one of your interests is painting, spend an afternoon beside a scenic river bank or a secluded area and paint together. Afterwards you could donate the paintings to a nearby retirement home.
- Attend an exhibition - maybe look for new exhibitions in town, like car rally's and sports events.
- Attend a driving range.
- In a long-term relationship, but maybe they are away on business or far away. Make a tape including a little song, some thoughts about them, memories and so on.
- Rent a bike from a tour operator or if there's a college nearby, you should be able to rent them cheaply and explore a nearby village or small town.
- Spend a quiet night in but be creative - you could write a song, or write a poem for each other. Use your best memories for ideas.
- Sit out in the yard and stargaze.
- Go to a disc (frisbee) golf course.
- If it's snowing, build alternative snowmen - a him and her.
Creative Date Ideas
Dates that are enjoyable help keep relationships fun. The more unique and creative they are, the more memorable they may be.
- Say you're in a long distance relationship. Why not arrange a video-date. You both rent the same movie and start playing it the same time, whilst talking on the phone. It's great if it's a romantic comedy.
- Teach your partner whilst getting intimate. If you know something well enough that you could spend an hour or so teaching your partner, then great. It might be photography, an instrument, a sport or whatever. You'll get closer and have some educational fun. For instance, I've taught self-defence. Not only is it a chance to get intimate and enjoyable, but it's also highly worthwhile.
- If you're starting out, why not keep a diary of your dating memories. Then maybe sometime down the line, say at a special occassion, bring out the diary and spend a night reminiscing on your history so far together.
- Ongoing Date Ideas - maybe go to all restaurants, bars or cafes in an A to Z fashion. Start out at Alf's Bar, then maybe Barnie's Burgers, followed by Charlie's Chip Shop. It'll take a few dates, but make it memorable by taking photos outside each location and eventually put an 'A-Z of love' photo album together of the best pictures.
- Be Historic - visit an archeaology dig or old ruins.
- If you know a fair bit about your date's teenage years (over a while find out without them being suspicious), plan a date that takes them back and brings back old memories. A tour of any old places they grew up, cafe's, schools, favorite places.
- Create a list of 20 or so strange questions and get each other to fill them in and discuss and read them out.
- Take a class together one day, and maybe that evening use the knowledge. For instance, attend a morning workshop in photography basics. Buy a couple of disposable cameras and late afternoon or evening, take a trip to an area you've always wanted to go to but 'never got the chance'. Use your new found knowledge and put it to the test.
- Plan a date that revolves around a book - maybe it's cooking, dreams, astrology, or whatever.
Fun Dating Ideas
Dates that are enjoyable help keep relationships fun. The more unique and creative they are, the more memorable they often prove to be.
The emphasis is on having a happy time together. There's plenty of scope for making it more memorable. I suggest buying a disposable camera or two and taking snaps throughout the date. Then, at the right point, suggest getting together the following week and having a look back at the results.
Amusement (or water) Parks - there's excitement a plenty and ladies have been known to get quite close on some of the scarier rides. Video arcades can be fun too, but if you're going down that route ensure there's a great deal of interaction with the activities you get up to. She doesn't want to stand there and watch you reach level 356 on Streetfighter 4...
Ice-Skating and 10-pin Bowling - these are great both if you've done them before, or especially if one of you hasn't. It's a great chance to get closer and have a good laugh together.
Concerts, nightclub or dancing offer alternatives.
Remember the date shouldn't really be a competition, but if you're both sporty or athletic, then trying something a bit more active might be to both your benefits.
For instance: roller-blading, skiing (water-skiing), going for a mountain-bike ride along a picturesque trail, hill-walking, a game of frisbee and a picnic and so forth.
Want to have a bit of an adventure? Well, you could try out bunjee-jumping, canooing, white-water rafting, sky-diving, scuba (snorkle) diving or even take a romantic air baloon trip. Just ensure you follow all the safety guidelines.
Get nostalgic and do things you done as a teenager. Use your imagination here.
Visit places of mutual interest, like art galleries, cultural centres. You might take a day trip to a local town, a famous area, or even an aftertoon class yoga, dancing or photography.
Great Sexy Date Ideas
Looking to spice up your relationship with some cheeky and sexy date ideas? Well, you're in luck. I'll provide you with some rough ideas, but remember the only limitation is your own imagination. These are intended for people who know each other quite well :)
What does your partner like. Maybe she's fond of French food. Well, choose a theme and create a date around that. Book a dinner at a suave French restaurant, maybe rent out a French film (Amelie is a good one!), snuggle up, heck get out that old French Maid's outfit, put on those french accents and have a night to remember. Get the idea?
Do something unexpected. Women love surprises. For instance, you could get some love coupons and have them delivered to her work. The kind that says 'redeemable that evening'. That should give her something to look forward too. You could then take that idea further by maybe including a package, with a note attached saying 'not to be opened before 7pm' - that will intrigue her throughout the day. What should you put in the package? Use your imagination; it could be some sexy new lingerie, a romantic gesture like a love poem, naughty gummy sweets, or items that will generate the right mood for whatever you have planned that evening.
Another idea is to be creative - going with the love coupon theme, your ticket might include an 'itenary' she must bring ( the destination could be your place or maybe a hotel). Make it cheeky - like 'baby oil, strawberries, whipped cream' and include something like 'no redemption of love coupon till all items accounted for'.
For ladies there's nothing like showing off that new Lingerie. Well, turn it into a night to remember and give your partner a sexy Lingerie show. Why buy those super sexy suspenders and bras if you ain't going to make the most of them. Let them watch you, and they're excitement will rise to the occassion. Use costumes if you like - Maid, Arabian Nights, bunny girl etc.
Wicky Wicky Wild
Want to spend an intimate evening together. There's nothing like a lovely hot tub to get in the mood. Share long deep conversations, eating only the most delectable food. Enhance the evening with enrichment and massage, or play the bathtub love game.
Alternatives include having a wicky wild whipped topping fight.
You might go on a romantic summer boat trip to a secluded spot and finish with a spot of skinnydipping in the lagoon!
Playing the Game
Your date could involve Playing Games. No, we aren't talking about chess here. There are many sexy games available, including Cheeky Checkers, Strip Body Frosting chocolate, the Kama Sutre Game, Dirty Dice and more. There's all sorts of fun toys available to spice things up, from glow in the dark handcuffs to novelty or edible undies. Be creative and make up your own! Don't be a fuddy duddy though. Adding variety to your dates keeps things interesting. Your partner will appreciate the thought and time you've taken in planning that evening's entertainment.
More Date Ideas
If you're looking for more creative, fun and cheap dating ideas, then Michael Webb's Ebook offers 300 of them, including ideas for anniversaries , birthdays, special occassions, vacations and creative dinner and picnic dates. At 100 pages it's packed with great ideas, tips and stories from the 'Master of Romance' - click here to read more about it.
The following is a further selection of my own and reader submitted short dating ideas for people of all ages and types. Newest ideas get added to the top of the page. Last addition: 27th Jan 2003.
- Guidebooks are your friend. Buy one from the local tour shop, or library and discover some of the attractions you never knew existed in your town (you will be surprised no doubt). Or, visit a nearby town's main attractions.
- Spend an afternoon on the golf course - playing Disc (frisbee golf). You can usually find them in big cities/towns and are relatively cheap.
- Turn back the years - go-karting and mini-golf can still be fun, or if you're a teen are pure fun.
- Attend an auction - look for bargains you can give each other as presents.
- Do group dates - organise fancy dress date parties.
- Group dates with an educational theme - show them something useful and new. Incentives for completing the task (like changing a tire).
- Go to a zoo.
- Have a laugh by doing a 'you groom me, I'll groom you evening'. See how good your fella is at putting on your makeup, and you might be adventurous and give him a little eyebrow plucking or back wax!
- Shoot for the Stars - learn about astrology basics by buying/loaning a book and on a clear evening sit and chat about the various stars and see if you can spot any you learned about.
- Treasure hunt group date.
- Help to organise a church fair.
- Winter date ideas - go sledging on bin-bags, have a snowman contest - see who'se is the ugliest, biggest, 'most well endowed nosewise' and so on. Build a snowdog.
- Cook an outdoor barbequ in a hilly area overlooking a town below.
- Attend a shooting range. Attend a baseball shooting ground.
- Helping date ideas - do something in the community - a clean up, take part in a building project.
- Culture dates - attend a music recital in the open-air, visit a jazz club, create your own piece of music with instruments, or build your own mini-instrument. Go scientific - war musuems, planetariums, exhibits.
- More Culture - go to a bookstore signing, or a lecture. Attend a live stage-show.
- Educational ideas - take short class together, like building pottery. Build something together.
- Try a backwards dinner date - start with desert...
- Go Disco bowling or disco ice skating.
- Buy a canvas and use your painting skills (whatever the level) to paint a portrait of both of you.
- Walk along a beach, explore some caves.
- Religous Dates - decorate or prepare a church fete, party or do a door-to-door collection. Experience another religious occassion to broaden your horizons and to understand other faiths.
- Go camping with another couple. Maybe let the girls be responsible for log collection and tent duties.
- Create your own favorite album from a combination of your favorite songs. Put it together in your favorite order. Decide on variety of songs and discuss.
- Go to a biodrome or botanical gardens.
- Go to a public historic house, which is entriched in history.